Saturday, May 15, 2010

So grateful

I'm so grateful that I have the following people on my team for this project: Jake Custer, Orin Williams, Robert Allan, Amanda Wlaysewski, Everett Thompson, my parents Betz and Fred Bonin, and of course, my husband Chet Chambers. 

Although this project only entails the installation of two high tunnels on a 1.2 acre parcel, it is more significant than just a simple construction project.  This project is really the first large-scale commercial organic farm in Naknek, Alaska, perhaps in the entire Bristol Bay region.  We are attempting to actually grow food for consumption and for sale, not just as a hobby or to supplement our own subsistence food supplies. 

High Tunnel #1 is being constructed, and High Tunnel #2 arrives into Anchorage on Monday, May 17th.  Although a slightly more expensive option, we are air freighting out the second high tunnel so that we can maximize our growing season this year.  Otherwise, we would have had to await the arrival of the next barge, sometime in a few more weeks.

In a strange way, I am also a little grateful to my critics, who will go unnamed in this blog. They know who they are.  I love a challenge, and having people against you from the beginning only adds a new layer of depth to this project, a human element that far surpasses any weather, environmental, seasonal, timing or other natural barriers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment